- System Requirements
- New in 6.0
- Why Choose FLAC3D?
- FLAC3D Updates
- Software Archive
- FLAC3D FAQs
- Order FLAC3D
- System Requirements
- Why Choose PFC?
- Material-Modeling Support
- Pavement-Design Package
- PFC Updates
- Software Archives
- Order PFC
- Distinct Element Method
- New in UDEC 6.0
- Optional Features
- System Requirements
- UDEC Videos
- UDEC Updates
- Meshing Solutions
- UDM Library
- North American Software Price List
Griddle is a new, powerful, easy-to-use meshing solution for complex simulations. Model generation has never been easier. Griddle features a simple user interface and requires only a few input parameters to produce high quality surface and volume meshes.
Rhinoceros 5.0 Plug-In
Griddle leverages and extends the power of Rhinoceros 5.0, 3D CAD software from Robert McNeel & Associates. Rhino can create, edit, analyze, document, render, animate, and translate NURBS* curves, surfaces, and solids, point clouds, and polygon meshes. There are no limits on complexity, degree, or size beyond those of your hardware. Rhino is sold separately, but can be purchased from Itasca at a discount when combined with FLAC, FLAC3D, UDEC, 3DEC, or PFC.
Rhino 5.0 features:
- Built-in Mesh Repair Wizard to ensure good-quality meshes for volume meshing
- Powerful, accurate, and free-form
- Includes standard drafting tools and advanced Boolean, lofting, draping, extrusion, sweep, rail, revolve, transformation, and analysis tools
- Compatible with most design, drafting, CAM, engineering, analysis, rendering, animation, and illustration software
- Customize, parameterize, and automate Rhino and Griddle using powerful Visual Basic or Python scripting
- Affordable, requiring standard hardware, short learning curve, low purchase price with no maintenance fees
For example, easily create models as Rhino surfaces using objects, planes, and extruded curves.
Griddle Surface Mesh Intersector
- Useful for imported meshes to ensure high-quality results
- Creates a conformal (node-to-node) triangular mesh from any number of selected, intersecting meshes
- Requires only a single tolerance input
Griddle Surface Remesher
- Remesh any Rhino mesh
- Output meshes can be triangle, quad-dominant (triangles and quadrilaterals), or all quadrilaterals
- Specify the minimum and maximum edge lengths as well as the ridge angle which controls the level of mesh detail
- Automatically delete or retain your original mesh
- Additional edge size controls include local mesh size overrides
- Specify hard edges that will be preserved in a mesh during the remeshing process
- High quality triangle, quad-dominant, all-quad surface remeshing with precise size control. Required mesh element size can be specified as global minimum and maximum element edge lengths. These global size values can be overridden at specific locations with local size specifications at points and selected areas of the surface mesh. This can be done interactively in Rhino.
- Hard-edges (edges that must be included in the surface meshes) can be specified interactively in Rhino.
Griddle Volume Mesher
- Creates a tetrahedral or a hexahedral-dominant mesh using selected surface meshes as boundaries
- Faces of volume elements match the input surface meshes
- Surface meshes can be composed of triangles or a mix of quadrilaterals and triangles
- Surface meshes do not need to cut a volume completely into separate domains. “Floating” surface meshes inside a volume (e.g., discontinuous geological joints) can be included as “hard faces” in the final volume mesh (joints in 3DEC and interfaces in FLAC3D)
- Surface meshes can be named and these names will appear as face groups in FLAC3D output
- Export Formats: volume grids produced by Griddle can be saved in the following ASCII file formats: FLAC3D, 3DEC, Abaqus, Ansys, LS-DYNA, NASTRAN, and VRML.
BlockRanger 1.2, included free with Griddle, is a fully interactive, volume mesh generation plug-in for Rhinoceros 5.0. BlockRanger automatically fills Rhino solids with high-quality, mapped, all-hexahedral (brick) elements for use with FLAC3D, 3DEC, and many other engineering analysis packages that require hexahedral meshing and a strict control of element quality, spatial distribution, and orientation. BlockRanger is also sold separately.