Mining/Geomechanics Principal Engineer
Itasca, a growing international engineering company with offices in 10 countries and a staff of about 170, is seeking a Principal Engineer in its Minneapolis office. The successful candidate will be responsible for solving practical mining problems through a combination of engineering experience and directing numerical analysis project work done by others. Projects are world-wide and world-class, provide exceptional professional development opportunities, and often include collaboration with high caliber staff in the US and internationally. The candidate should have an established background in rock mechanics, mining, and geomechanics involving modeling with Itasca codes in mining applications, and a demonstrated capability to mentor staff, direct projects, and interact with clients.
The position involves directing high-quality, value-added consulting engineering services to our clients on time and on budget. The successful candidate will be involved in business development (seeking new projects and clients), professional development and recruiting efforts, and will have the opportunity to interact with our software development team. All candidates must have a master’s degree in a related discipline.
- Established presence in the global mining community
- Practical geomechanics problem-solving experience with a focus on mining engineering
- Continuous development of consulting business from existing and new clients
- Proposal preparation and project work, with 65% time dedicated to billable work
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated capability to manage projects independently, on time and on budget
- Perform numerical modeling, analyze results, and communicate results to clients
- Leadership of mining engineering team, including mentoring, conducting annual performance reviews, and recruiting new team members
- Work collaboratively with engineering, software development, and administrative staff
- Support marketing of consulting services and commercial software
- Publish technical papers at relevant conferences and in relevant magazines or journals
- Membership in relevant professional or industry committees and/or technical societies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Desire to grow both personally and professionally
- Travel as required to visit client sites and attend conferences (may be up to 30% time)
- Position located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Remote working may be allowed for the near future due to COVID-19.
- Master’s degree in Engineering (Geotechnical, Geomechanics, Mining, Civil), Geophysics, or related field
- 15 years of relevant post-graduate experience as a Geotechnical Engineer, Mining Engineer, Rock Mechanics Engineer, Geomechanics Engineer, or related position
- Experience with advanced numerical modeling
- Practical mining operations experience preferred
- Excellent English oral and written communications; other language skills are a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. Itasca may be willing to facilitate work visa requirements under certain circumstances.
Please send a cover letter and CV to the attention of Krystal Syring, Itasca Consulting Group, Inc., 111 3rd Avenue South, Suite 450, Minneapolis, MN 55401 or to firstname.lastname@example.org include the reference number ICG20-05 in the email subject line.